Anti-aging means preventing aging by inhibiting the changes that take place in the body simply due to aging, and the body to remain fit and healthy. Advances in medical and scientific technology in recent years against the degenerative processes in aging have resulted in methods of inhibiting these processes being developed. Quite naturally older people want to maintain a good quality of life in terms of physical mobility, mental health, freedom from pain and disease and, in many cases, also a good physical appearance.
Decreased production or effectiveness of regulatory substances such as genes, reactive oxygen species, glycation, immune response and hormones are attracting attention.
Aging and reactive oxygen species
A substance called reactive oxygen species is produced as byproduct when the body needs oxygen to make energy by burning sugar, fats or amino acids. Usually, 2 to 5% of the oxygen consumed will become reactive oxygen species. Reactive oxygen species are highly active and will attack and destroy tissues and cells randomly. The proteins, fats, carbohydrates and or genes that are attacked can be destroyed or have decreased function as a result. This then causes decreasing energy metabolism and body metabolism which accelerate the aging process. Recently, reactive oxygen species have been observed to have a significant effect on aging. Additionally, reactive oxygen species are involved in more than 90% of diseases. Disturbances in lifestyle such as over eating, excessive consumption of alcohol, smoking, stress, UV-B radiation, carcinogens, food additives, pesticide residues and even strenuous exercise help to produce reactive oxygen species indicating that these activities can also influence aging.
Aging and Glycation
Monosaccharides such as glucose can create highly reactive aldehydes such as Acetaldehyde which when it reacts with protein, fats or genes causes glycation that generates AGEs (Advanced Glycation End-products). The functions of cells or tissues will be lowered when this glycation occurs. The glycation products can then bind or polymerize with other proteins, fats or genes. Because proteins have greater resistance to proteases (enzymes that break down proteins) when they are glycosylated, they accumulate in the tissues and accelerate the production of substances which simulate reactive oxygen species with detrimental effects on health and aging. Glycation is a normal process in the body, but the effect on aging will be more pronounced in diabetic conditions because glycation is stimulated in the presence of a high blood sugar level. In fact, diabetic patients may have various aging or angiogenesis related diseases as the result of accelerated blood vessels aging.
Anti-Aging genetic sirtuin
Genetic sirtuin was found in yeast initially then, later found in flies, rats, monkeys and humans. It was then found that most of the creatures on earth have genetic sirtuin. Most creatures have the sirtuin genes which has the ability to inhibit reactive oxygen species and to control abnormal reactions in immune cells. These functions can delay the aging progression and extend life. Genetic sirtuin is also called the anti-aging gene, it usually being activated by starvation and caloric restriction. Sirtuin genes of modern people are mostly dormant and as a result do not inhibit the aging progress. Finding the substance that can activate genetic sirtuin will be a key to anti-aging.
- Huangfu J, Liu J, Sun Z, Wang M, Jiang Y, Chen ZY, Chen F. Antiaging Effects of Astaxanthin-Rich Alga Haematococcus pluvialis on Fruit Flies under Oxidative Stress. J Agric Food Chem. 2013 Aug 6.
- Buonocore D, Lazzeretti A, Tocabens P, Nobile V, Cestone E, Santin G, Bottone MG, Marzatico F. Resveratrol-procyanidin blend: nutraceutical and antiaging efficacy evaluated in a placebocontrolled, double-blind study. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2012;5:159-65. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S36102. Epub 2012 Oct 5.
- Anandan R, Ganesan B, Obulesu T, Mathew S, Asha KK, Lakshmanan PT, Zynudheen AA. Antiaging effect of dietary chitosan supplementation on glutathione-dependent antioxidant system in young and aged rats. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2013 Jan;18(1):121-5. doi: 10.1007/s12192-012-0354-2. Epub 2012 Jul 25.
- Liang ZH, Yin DZ. Preventive treatment of traditional Chinese medicine as antistress and antiaging strategy. Rejuvenation Res. 2010 Apr-Jun;13(2-3):248-52. doi: 10.1089/rej.2009.0867.
- Mao GX, Zheng LD, Cao YB, Chen ZM, Lv YD, Wang YZ, Hu XL, Wang GF, Yan J. Antiaging effect of pine pollen in human diploid fibroblasts and in a mouse model induced by D-galactose. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:750963. doi: 10.1155/2012/750963. Epub 2012 Apr 17.
- Odetti P, Pronzato MA, Noberasco G, Cosso L, Traverso N, Cottalasso D, Marinari UM. Relationships between glycation and oxidation related fluorescences in rat collagen during aging. An in vivo and in vitro study. Lab Invest. 1994 Jan;70(1):61-7.
- Wolff SP, Jiang ZY, Hunt JV. Protein glycation and oxidative stress in diabetes mellitus and ageing. Free Radic Biol Med. 1991;10(5):339-52.
- Quideau S, Deffieux D, Pouysegu L. Resveratrol still has something to say about aging! Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2012 Jul 9;51(28):6824-6. doi: 10.1002/anie.201203059. Epub 2012 Jun 21.
PCT is pending. Black Ginger (Kaempferia parviflora) is a member of the ginger family Zingiberaceae. It is grown mainly in South East Asia, particularly in Thailand and Laos where it originated. People there have used it, prepared as a tea, as a traditional health product from ancient times. It is used as a tonic for increasing energy, reducing blood sugar, wound healing and enhancing the body’s circulatory and digestive systems. The important bioactive components in Black Ginger are the flavonoids which have been shown to provide anti-oxidant, anti-allergenic and vasodilatory effects. The range of beneficial health functions claimed for Black Ginger have been demonstrated in laboratory and clinical studies, some […]
Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Extract
Cherry blossom flowers are familiar to the Japanese, and some species of the flowers soaked in salty vinegar are used as processed foods. Sakura-cha (salted cherry blossom tea) is a Japanese tea that is traditionally served at celebrations such as wedding ceremonies. The production of Sakura-cha includes the immersion of cherry blossom flowers in Japanese plum vinegar, and through this process, the byproduct (plum vinegar extract of cherry blossom) is obtained. The experiment demonstrated that plum vinegar extract of cherry blossom had antioxidant activity. The plum vinegar extract of cherry blossom had a greater superoxide anion scavenging activity compared with red wine, which is a well-known strong antioxidant. Liquid chromatography-mass […]
Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed extracts are derived from whole grape seeds that have a high concentration of vitamin E, linoleic acid and flavonoids with the main class of flavonoids being a group called proanthocyanidins. Proanthocyanidins are a class of biologically active flavonoids found throughout the plant kingdom, and are one of the most potent antioxidants in nature. Typically concentrated in the bark of trees and in the outer shells of seeds, proanthocyanidins help protect plants against oxidative elements such as oxygen and sunshine. One of the richest sources of proanthocyanidins in nature is grape seeds. Recent studies in animals, as well as some human studies, have shown that grape seed proanthocyanidin extracts […]
New Zealand Pine Bark Extract
Pine bark is rich in oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) which are natural compounds that have strong anti-oxidation properties. The anti-oxidant power of OPCs has been reported to be more than 20 times that of vitamin C and more than 50 times that of Vitamin E. Pine bark from New Zealand is subject to stronger ultraviolet B exposure than that from many other regions. This is due to the clear skies and bright sunlight in New Zealand and results in superior anti-oxidant power. Bark is not suitable as a food and also we could not derive enough nutrients simply by eating it. Many years of research have resulted in the production of […]
Anti-Aging supplement with anti-oxidative and anti-glycation ingredients.